It is the era of high speed internet, social networking, mobile phones and computers. It is the era when you can communicate with your loved at a click of a button. Infact it was never so easy to communicate with your loved ones. You can now video chat with your friends and family and that too without paying a penny. With high speed internet available on computer and mobile phones and with all these devices having a camera – you can make make Free Video Calls – both on computer and mobile phones.
You can make video calls from your smartPhone if it has :
- phone has to be a smartPhone – Android, Windows, iOS, Nokia, Blackberry etc
- high speed internet
- video calling application for your mobile phone
Making video calls from mobile is possible, still a lot of people prefer making video calls from computer itself (laptop/desktop). In this article we will look at how you can make video calls from your computer for free. You may be living too far from your mom (may be in another country), but you can actually video chat and see your mom and the feeling will be amazing.
Requirements for making video call from computer: Off course you need a computer (laptop or desktop), high speed internet, camera, microphone (it may be inbuilt in your laptop/desktop) to make that video call. If you are using unlimited internet plan (or a cheap internet plan), then your actual video call cost is free. The data consumed in a video call is very less and thus the cost is effectively zero.
How to Make Free Calls using Computer Applications
- Install Video Call Application -: Many voip providers offer a software (app for computer) which allows you to make video calls. Below is a compiled list of applications which offer video calls from your computer.
- Ask your friend to install the same voip application in his smart phone/computer -: All of these apps offer video calls to a person who is using the same app. Consider it like this – you can message your facebook friend from your twitter account. In short, you both need same app (it does not matter if you two are using different devices). That work’s !
- Add your friend as contact -: Some app do not require you to explicitly add your friends as your contact. It scans your address book and automatically finds your friends. Some apps explicitly asks you to add contact (Like Skype).
- Call your friend (assuming he is also connected to internet) and video chat for as long as you like.
App Review Link: http://voipnina.com/tango-review-free-video-calls-from-mobile-phone/
App Download Link: http://www.tango.me/download_pc.php
Tango offers free video calls from computer, Android, iPhone and Windows Mobile. Its a widely popular app with more than 600 million downloads. It also offers free voice calls and text messages. The video call quality is also good, so its a must try from my side.
App Review Link: http://voipnina.com/skype-reviews-look-at-all-skype-features/
App Download Link: http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-windows8/
Skype is one of the most widely used voip service for making video calls. It has application for computer, android, iPhone, Blackberry and windows mobile. Most of your friends may already be using Skype app so making calls is easy and free. The video call quality is also pretty great. It also offers free voice calls and text messages. Its a must try app.
App Review Link: http://voipnina.com/viber-review-free-calls-sms-video-calls/
App Download Link: http://download.viber.com/desktop/windows/ViberSetup.exe
Viber is one of the most used voip application available for all mobile platforms. For computer, Viber also offers free video calls to other users. The call quality is also very good (HD calls are offered). You can even transfer ongoing calls between devices. It also offers free voice calls and text messages. Its a must try app. Infact almost all of your friends may already be using it, so if you use it on your PC then you will be able to call them on their mobile from your PC for free.
App Review Link: http://voipnina.com/google-hangouts-review-make-free-group-video-calls/
App Download Link: http://www.google.com/+/learnmore/hangouts/index.html
One of the best way to make video calls is to use Google Hangouts. The good thing is it is available for computer (windows PC with help of chrome extension) and most types of mobile platforms which means that you will be able to video call with almost all your friends (assuming they have installed Hangouts on their mobile device). Moreover the call quality is also pretty decent and it offers free group video calls as well (which is a premium feature in Skype). On this PC version, Hangouts offer much more advanced features like desktop sharing (for free).